Discover the latest AutoCAD tips from pros and everyday users. You'll get practical advice to help you work faster.
TIP 1: Keyboard Shortcuts
Take advantage of AutoCAD specific keyboard shortcuts to save you valuable time. You can even create or modify the existing shortcuts.
- Click Manage tab > Customisation panel > User Interface, or type CUI into the command line.
- In the Customise tab, Customisations In <file name> pane, click the plus sign (+) next to the Keyboard Shortcuts node to expand it.
- Click the plus sign (+) next to the Shortcut Keys.
• To modify a shortcut key, select a shortcut key from under the Shortcut Keys node.
• To create a shortcut key, in the Command List pane, drag a command to the Shortcut Keys node in the Customisations In <file name> pane.
TIP 2: Autosave
Set your Autosave setting to 5 minutes (or 2 or 3 minutes!), and manually save often with the QSAVE command or Ctrl+S shortcut.
Automatic save files are backup files created automatically by the Autosave feature. Set the number of minutes between automatic saves in the Open and Save tab in the Options dialog box or by using the SAVETIME command. Automatic saves are only done if a drawing has been modified after the last save. QSAVE, SAVE, and SAVEAS will delete the current .sv$ file – the Autosave file only remains if the application closes unexpectedly.
Find the location of your autosave files by going to the Files tab in the Options dialog box and inspecting the Automatic Save File Location folder in the hierarchy, or by using the SAVEFILEPATH command. Once you find the file, change the file extension from .sv$ to .dwg to open.
TIP 3: Quick Access Toolbar
Keep your most frequently used tools in the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) right at the top of your screen. Customise the QAT by clicking the small, pull-down control button on the right. You can check and un-check the commands you want quick access to.
Here, you can also change where the Quick Access Toolbar docks, or even turn on the old-style Menu Bar. You can also drag the elements within the Quick Access Toolbar to change the order in which they appear.
To continue reading, download a full AutoCAD Tips eBook today.